Cameron Highlands was founded by William Cameron who served as a government surveyor throughout the British ruling, during an expedition in The Banjaran Titiwangsa area in the year 1885.
The area later is developed as Hill Station by the government during that time. It was created as a distinctive district administration after the World War Two. Cameron Highlands's District Council was administered by a special committee namely Cameron Highlands Development Council till year end 1931.
Subsequently, Cameron Highlands is administered by an appointed Assistant District Officer under the jurisdiction of Lipis District Officer.